My 2018 reading challenge



When I bought a tablet a couple of years ago, I was made up when I found out I could use it as an e-reader. For a while it worked well for me, books weren't as expensive as I thought they'd be and when I've finished reading I don't have to find a space on my shelf for said book.

But more recently I couldn't settle. I'm an old-fashioned girl at heart and I really do love holding a book and flicking through the pages. I do like being able to see how much I've read and being able to see how many pages I have left to go.

As part of my self-care mission, I wanted to get back into reading at least two books a month. But I'm a girl who doesn't really like spending, the idea of spending between £5 - £10 per book was enough to put me right off. 

I was in town at the beginning of February and I walked past The British Heart Foundation shop. I'm ashamed to admit that I rarely go in to charity shops, though I donate items to be sold regularly. But I noticed they sold books on a rack there so I thought I'd go to see if anything caught my eye.

I walked out with two books. I made it my mission to read those two books during the month and if I managed it, then I'd be back at the beginning of the next month to get some more. Buying them from the BHF shop was a double win for me, not only am I getting books to read - I'm also donating money to a charity that means so much to me.

I get such a sense of accomplishment when I finish a book when I can see how many actual pages I've read. I look forward to settling down in bed with a book and a panad, I love the way my bedside table looks when there's a stack of books waiting for me to get through. It's so easy to fall asleep watching the iPad in bed, but I can actually get lost in another world when I'm reading a book and I have to give faces to these characters I'm reading about.

I've not long started my books for this month and I'm hoping that I can continue to make time to read. Whether it's in bed or if it's the 20-minutes I have in the sat in the car while I'm at the school car park waiting for the kids.

GM
x


No comments

Post a Comment