Goodbye 2018

I had no idea what 2018 would entail. Our main hope was that Martha would finally have a year free from any kind of surgery. If that wish came true we were hoping to be able to take the kids away abroad for the first time.

In so many ways we've been lucky. We joined the National Trust and some fabulous days out over Easter, Summer and October half term holidays. At only £10 a month it has been a worthwhile investment, we've been to so many places that we would never have thought to visit before. The kids have enjoyed the Gardens and play areas and Mark and I have enjoyed geeking out learning all about the history. I can't wait to explore more places in 2019.




April brought Martha's 6-month check-up at Great Ormond Street Hospital. To say I was nervous was an understatement. Martha has always been clinically well, even when she's needed surgery so we never know what to expect when she has her ECHO. Thankfully, we were given good news and the green light for Martha to fly. We applied for our passports as soon as we could and in September, we spent a week in Majorca. It was the most amazing week of sunbathing, cooling off in the pool and overindulgence at the all-inclusive buffet. I really hope we can take them away again in 2019.






But it wasn't an entirely great year. During the cold snap in February, our neighbour had a burst pipe and the water leaked into our porch area, the whole stairway needed replastering, redecorating and new carpets and it was weeks with a dehumidifier and months of waiting for the works to be completed.

Just when I was hoping that water damage was the worst thing life was going to throw at us this year...my lovely Grandad was diagnosed with Cancer in June. He endured two rounds of Radiotherapy over the Summer and by December he was ready to start Chemotherapy. However, after only a week of treatment, his Liver had taken more than it could handle and we had to stop. He passed away on the 22nd of December at our local Hospital surrounded by his family.


I have no idea what 2019 has in store for us, I'm just going to take the year as it comes. I have a few simple hopes, such as 1) Martha not needing surgery again this year 2) That we are able to go on Holiday again.

Thank you all for your support through 2018, especially over the past week since losing my Taid.

I'm working this evening, but I hope that however you'll be bringing in the new year that you have a good one. I have tomorrow off to start the New Year with my family - I really don't know what I would do without them.

GM
x


No comments

Post a Comment