Hot off the press

It has been a mad weekend. I keep repeating myself but it's only because I am honestly so overwhelmed. 

On Friday Martha Grace had her last set of immunisations, the ones she should have had when she was 16 weeks old. Again I was far too much of a coward to make be the one who went in with her, so I sent my Nain in. After I heard the second cry I knew it was over and time for Mammi to go in for cuddles. I showed her the toys I brought with her and the tears stopped,
strapped her back in her car seat and headed back to Nain's house.
 Last time Martha had her jabs she still has her NG tube, so giving her Calpol wasn't a problem; but on Friday I had no choice but to give it to her orally. It was a bit of  polava, she wasn't fussed on the taste even though it was sweet. She is allowed 2.5ml but if I am honest I doubt I even managed to get 1.5ml down her. But she was in great spirits all afternoon, wide awake the whole way to school in the pram...but finally gave in to sleep on the way home. She even finished a 150ml feed when we got back. I've been really lucky with all three of mine in that they've never been bothered by their jabs; I think it's because I give them Calpol straight away so they don't get a chance to spike a temp or feel any discomfort.

On Saturday we appeared in our regional newspaper, in case you missed it you can read it here. I'd called them earlier in the week to see if they would feature our story to promote the Just Giving page we'd set up in aid of the Sick Children's Trust. I have been inundated with emails from fellow North Wales Heart Parent's; many of them much further along in their journey than us - others with their journey just about to begin. It's shocking to me how many families CHD's affect in North Wales alone, never mind the rest of the country or the rest of the world.

Some questions appeared over and over again so over the next few weeks I'll dedicate a post to each question. No I'm not a Doctor or Cardiologist, but I'm a mother who has lived through it. Yes a Doctor can tell you the technicalities of the surgery, but can a Doctor prepare you for what it feels like to leave your precious baby in a room full of strangers and what it's like to wonder whether the next time you see your child if they'll be alive or not? (Sorry it's not meant to be a sad post)

I guess what I want to say is Thank You from the bottom of my heart (excuse the pun) for all your support since the weekend, actually scrap that - I mean since the beginning.

But in other news, Martha has continued to enjoy her Baby Rice - she gets excited when she see's you walking towards her with her bowl and spoon, it's amazing for me to see that she knows what they are. She's also learnt how to put her feet in her mouth and chew on her toes; Mark was going mad when trying to dress her last night - until I reminded him that it's an amazing achievement for Martha and we should be grateful that she can even do that.

I hope you've all had a great weekend and thanks again for being so supportive.
GM
x



No comments

Post a Comment