A letter to Martha Grace || January 2019

To my Beautiful Hero,

It's been 5 years since we brought you home after 10 weeks in Hospital. A day we didn't think we'd see. Those ten weeks seemed to go on and on forever, but the past 5 years have gone by in the blink of an eye. How are you in Year 1 at school already? Going to breakfast club with your big sister and having swimming lessons on Saturday afternoons.

I can recall almost every detail of that admission as if it was only today we arrived home. I can't believe that any of that happened to us, but I am so grateful that we made it through. The last 5 years have been everything we dreamt being a family of 5 would be.



I used to write to you once a month, then it became whenever I could remember. This year I'm going to write to you at significant milestones. I'm trapped in the past and for my own mental health, I need to be able to deal with what we've been through in a way that does not involve reliving it every time I begin writing a blog post. For your sake, I don't want to dwell on the past because it takes away from the achievement you've accomplished aside from your hospital treatments.

It's not a secret that our 20-week scan saved your life, that if Sioned hadn't have been as vigilant as she was we would not have had the opportunity to seek the best possible treatment options for you. I want to continue to share your story because I want I want others to know how important early detection is. After everything you've been through I truly believe that your story could bring hope to a family facing the same hell that we were in 2013.

We couldn't be prouder of the little Madam you are. Let's face it, you were always going to be a force to be reckoned with, there was no way you were ever going to be a shy, quiet and well-behaved child.

Let's look forward to another stable year for you. Another year without surgery, a family holiday abroad and lots of family days with picnics. Let's look forward to seeing you achieve more and more in the year that you turn 6 years old.

Love you all the world,
Mammi xxxxx

No comments

Post a Comment